24.6.16

The EU Referendum // Moving Forward

Yesterday I turned 25. People asked me if I felt any differently but the honest answer was no.

Today, however, I have woken up feeling very different. Britain as a nation have decided to leave the European Union.

I voted REMAIN and given the opportunity again I would vote the same. I would be very interested to know if 100% of LEAVE voters can confidently say they still trust the campaign that encouraged them to change the future of Britain for good.

My outlook on life is that if it's broke - you fix it. Don't run away. I wanted to fix what we didn't like about the EU not abandon it completely. And in this instance of Britain voting LEAVE against my ideal, this is still very valid. Bitching, moaning, trolling, humiliating and fighting will not change the decision that just over half of the UK have decided. Props to David Cameron. He lost but his priority is still the people of Britain. Many, many erratic politicians would have resigned on the spot, not just their position of PM but also the responsibility of their influence on this country, but Cameron continues to show leadership and encourage unity and I believe he will until the day he officially steps down and we no longer call him Prime Minister.
I intend to follow this example. We need to swallow our pride and work together to support the direction OUR country is now headed. Don't like the outcome? Don't give up. Speak up.

People are right to be cautious as the future is unknown but that is always the case - even without this referendum. We shouldn't worry - we are the most innovative, creative and determined generation yet and my new faith in light of today's result is that we work together, bringing forward the pro's of both sides. Remain voters may have lost by 4% but Britain is still 100% our country, our home and our future.

I will NOT support moronic racist statements nor will I support ridiculing those who have a different opinion to my own. I WILL continue to open my arms and welcome those of any culture or nation without prejudice as I believe this almost equal split in vote shows exactly how we cannot all be tarred by the same brush.

By creating a referendum the government have given us a voice. And regardless of the outcome I will continue to champion what I believe is right which is establishing a strong, diverse and fair country. I still believe this would have been better within the EU but moving forward, together, as a nation, that is now irrelevant. We have been given a voice and I for one refuse to be silenced.

I expect this post to create controversy and I welcome discussion and debate on my blog and also on my twitter @missnikkiwilson however I will not entertain hating, trolling, bullying or belittling.

Please share, like, dislike, discuss and consider. Should we fight or unite? Again, I know what I choose. I will stand by Britain as, In or Out, we all want the best possible future.

No comments:

Post a Comment